Supportive Advocacy Advocates provide:
- information and education about how to petition for a Civil Protection Order;
- assistance drafting petitions for Temporary and Civil Protection Orders;
- general legal information;
- referral to a pro bono attorney;
- safety planning assistance;
- public benefits and social services referrals;
- emergency financial assistance;
- emergency cell phones;
- diapers, formula, and baby supplies;
- court accompaniment for victims;
- emotional support; and
- assistance with any other portion of the court or social services system.
Supportive Advocacy Services are provided in close collaboration with our DVIC partners including the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, the Metropolitan Police Department, the Office of the Attorney General, Ramona’s Way, DC Superior Court, The Legal Aid Society for the District of Columbia and the Center for Child and Family Support’s Victim Services Center. While at the DVICs, victims can also file a police report, speak with a Victim Witness Specialist from the US Attorney’s Office about an open criminal case, and make an appointment for counseling services with partner and referral agencies.
For more information about Supportive Advocacy Services, or to seek assistance, please contact Erin Hill, Director of Advocacy, at (202) 879-0454 or via e-mail at EHill@dcsafe.org.