The Crisis Response Team was designed to help bridge the gap in services for victims of domestic violence during non-business hours. It has now become a 24-hour a day, 7 day-a-week response to domestic violence in the DC Metro Area. Interns provide crisis intervention services on our 24-hour Response Line, which is housed inside the DC Superior Courthouse, and on Ride Alongs with the Metropolitan Police Department.
Interns provide emotional support, information about the justice system, referrals to social service programs, access to immediate crisis shelter, and access to the Emergency Temporary Protection Order (ETPO) process. Forty-hours of training is required. This training is conducted after regular business hours and on weekends to accommodate those who work full-time or have other responsibilities.
Additional Intern Responsibilities:
- Complete 40 hours of Domestic Violence Core Competency Training in order to obtain Advocate Privilege in the District of Columbia (provided by DC SAFE)
- Diligently maintain client records and SAFE databases;
- Perform additional duties as needed and when so directed.
- Providing in-person crisis intervention services on at least one Ride Along with the Metropolitan Police Department per month
Requirements for the Internship:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or graduate program in the greater DC area with an academic concentration in women’s studies, social work, legal studies/law, criminal justice, or social justice;
- Demonstrated interest in women’s rights, victim empowerment, public interest law or community service.
- Ability to complete mandatory 40-hour training program.
- Fluency in Spanish or Amharic is a plus.
- Evening and/or weekend shifts are required for this position.
- Dedication and attention to detail are extremely important.
Crisis Response Team (CRT) Interns are recruited on a semester basis and commit a minimum of 10-40 hours per week with priority given to applicants who can commit up to 25 hours per week. We will assist interns in obtaining course credit for the internship if requested.
How to Apply
Please send (1) a cover letter and (2) a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
DC SAFE is currently not accepting applications for internships.