DC SAFE is looking for passionate, dedicated people to join our team! To learn more about employment opportunities at DC SAFE please visit us on idealist.org. Spanish speakers and folks with direct service experience are encouraged to apply!
Title: Court Advocate
Location: Domestic Violence Intake Centers, On Call, SAFE Space Shelter, In Community
Supervision: Interns/ Volunteers
Reports to: Management Team
Position Description: Advocates offer direct services to victims of domestic violence on a 24/7 calendar and at various entry points including but not limited to: SAFE’s 24-hour 800 number, ride-alongs, on call, in the DVICs, in Court and at SAFE’s Crisis Shelter. Advocates primarily assist SAFE clients through direct services and programmatic duties.
General Direct Client Services:
- Assess every client for lethality and assist in devising an advocacy plan and a safety plan as part of SAFE critical incidence response.
- Provide immediate tangible resources for crisis intervention and facilitating access to Continuum Partners.
- Guide clients through the civil and criminal justice process with the central concern always being the clients’ immediate safety and self-determination.
- Provide information and assistance about navigating the Civil Justice System, such as but not limited to: evidentiary requirements for obtaining an ETPO/TPO/CPO; how to access the DVICs; process of service; enforcement of Civil Protection Orders; victim’s rights.
- Provide information and assistance about navigating the Criminal Justice System, such as but not limited to: how and when to contact the USAO screener; information on rights and responsibilities concerning victim witnesses; how to provide information about violations to USAO; information about status of case, holds, releases to insure safety.
- Provide information to and get information from MPD, USAO, and CSOSA regarding status of violations, supervision, and the location of both client and defendant.
- Provide client with soft referrals and maintaining referral mechanisms for SAFE with an end towards coordinating a community response to client needs.
- Report back on client concerns, trends and needs as well as partner concerns, trends and needs.
- Advocate for or assist clients in advocating for themselves through provision or general legal/systems information. This includes assisting with and/or writing letters and/or complaints on the client’s behalf.
- Facilitate clients’ access to Safe Space Shelter.
- Assist clients in applying for Crime Victims Compensation.
General Programmatic Duties:
- Assist the organization in implementation of systems advocacy plans, projects, programs, and policies and procedures.
- Diligently maintain client records and SAFE databases.
- Gather and analyze statistical information on clients, services, and trends.
- Participate in trainings to enhance knowledge of domestic violence.
- Participate community outreach, media campaigns, and trainings with community organizations.
- Attend community meetings/trainings/events as necessary. Network with members of the community and assist in recruiting volunteers.
- Assist with 40 hour training for volunteer/interns/staff.
- Attend staff meetings, trainings, and case review meetings.
Court Advocate: provide primary coverage in the two DVICs and in Court.
- Court Advocates insure that interns are able to assist clients though process, that the DVIC volume is running smoothly, and that partner agencies are responsive to clients.
- Accompany clients to court to insure their preparedness, safety, and understanding of the process as well as providing advocacy and collecting court outcomes.
- Assist SAFE clients in drafting petitions, motions and other legal documents related to Civil Protection Orders (CPO’s) and Temporary Protection Orders (TPO’s).
- Support interns and Court Watch volunteers.