As 2012 draws to a close, SAFE would like to thank you for your generous support for our life-saving work this year. Since 2006, SAFE has created revolutionary changes in the safety net for domestic violence victims in DC and these programs are saving lives. Your support of SAFE in 2012 has allowed us to:
- Assist 5,148 victims of domestic violence with safety plans, legal information and immediate crisis assistance;
- Write 2,527 petitions for civil protection orders;
- House 259 families in immediate need of safe shelter; and
- Respond immediately to 2,683 calls for crisis intervention assistance from police at the scene of a domestic violence crime or from emergency room staff at the hospital.
In 2012, as a result of these aggressive efforts, the domestic violence homicide rate in the District was cut by 65% for the first time in 10 years.
As we celebrate the new year, we remain focused on the reality of fear and isolation that victims of domestic violence experience in the District every day.
Each year the Metropolitan Police Department receives 31,000 domestic violence calls. Last year, SAFE served 12% more families than in the year before. The need for our services continues to grow, and even the smallest donation to SAFE can make a monumental difference in the lives of our clients. All donations to SAFE, Inc. are tax deductible to the extent provided by law.· $20 provides transportation to a client who cannot afford Metro fare.
· $50 purchases food for the weekend for a client and two children.
· $100 provides a night of emergency shelter for a victim and her children.
· $200 provides immediate, in-person emergency response for one family;
· $300 funds Court advocacy and accompaniment for one family;
· $500 provides a victim and her children with one week of emergency shelter.If you would like to donate items directly to SAFE’s shelter project such as housewares, diapers, formula, or general supplies, please use our Amazon Wish List
and send your gift directly to a family in need in SAFE Shelter. You may also visit our website and donate online at www.dcsafe.org
We are profoundly grateful for your support and for all of the resources, talents, support, and partnerships that have helped make DC SAFE for victims of domestic violence. SAFE’s talented and dedicated staff provides resources, information and compassion to vulnerable families every day without fail. Government, foundation and individual donors provide the investment and resources to ensure unique and growing programs. Partnerships with government agencies, businesses and non-profit organizations ensure that the assistance victims receive does not end with SAFE, and our dedicated board of directors that is shepherding SAFE into the future.On behalf of everyone at SAFE, Inc., we would like to thank you again for your generous support for our life-saving work and wish you a happy and peaceful 2013.Thank you and Happy Holidays!Elisabeth Olds Natalia Otero
Co-Executive Director Co-Executive Director